Share it

Friday, April 30, 2010

The End of Autism Awareness Month

Today is the end of April. April, as you probably know, is "Autism Awareness Month". While some people may see today as the end of raising awareness until April 2011, I see this day as a day of motivation.

The big organizations donate a lot of money for this month, and that's great, but autism is something that knows no months. Autism doesn't know geography nor does it know social status. Autism could care less if you gave it a special day, or month.

It's great, don't get me wrong, that autism is in the news during April, but what about the other 11 months of the year? I am on the spectrum, but I just don't feel it in April.

Unlike deer or baseball, autism has no season and, unlike a courtroom, it is always in session. Be it 2AM or 3:45PM those with autism have autism.

Why am I giving you these examples? I am motivated. Yesterday I gave two more presentations for a total of five on the week and I feel alive. The gratitude staff and families give me is something that is hard for me to comprehend as it is so positive.

I started this month with an article about how the origins of my passion for autism awareness came about and I end the month with what is next for me. The world may not have autism in the news for another 11 months, but I won't care. My goal is to try and keep it in people's minds. It may not be on a national, or international scale (yet!) but by going from town to town, city to city, and blog entry to book chapter I will be raising awareness one person at a time.

The next days, months, and years of my life will be dedicated to this. The world may recognize April as the month, but that's not enough. I may only be one person with one blog, but I will not quit, I will not waiver, and most of all my job is not done. It may be the end of Autism Awareness Month, but for me it is only the beginning.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for coming and talking at our open house last night. It was great to hear you speak in person. I am about half way through Finding Kansas and look forward to reading your upcoming books.

    Janelle Blair
    TouchPoint Central Staff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autism Awareness Month: All the months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for coming to my school! I can relate to you in all the ways!

    ReplyDelete