There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Making of the Video Blog

Yesterday's blog entry, or "vlog" entry (I don't like the word vlog) was probably the most difficult entry I have done to date. It wasn't that the material was new, but the medium I was using was new.

I worked on a outline script for three days, and ended up using none of it. A forced script didn't feel natural. In my video I had no words planned and everything was thought of as it came. This is important for me because if I slow down, whether doing a vlog, ahem, video blog or presentation I will begin to analyze what I am saying. At the speed I talk my mind has no time to nit pick at what I have said.

Starting the entry yesterday was difficult. I simply did not know how to begin. I started and restarted at least twenty times because nothing felt right. How does one greet people that he has talked to only in text for almost six months now? I didn't have the answer and it resulted in numerous restarts.

I found this interesting because this level of uncomfortableness is identical to what personal interactions are like. Starting a conversation is something I rarely do and it felt the same way as making that recording.

Another interesting tid bit is that I have not, and will not, watch my video. I have no idea what I said, what stories I used, or if I made any mistakes. I'd like to know, but watching myself, and seeing myself, is something that I avoid at all costs. In my mind I have an image of me and I think I know how I sound, but seeing me and hearing me in reality is a stark contrast. Every time I hear myself I ask, "I sound like that?"

I do plan on having more video blog entries in the future, but I will need to think of what topics to cover that I can do better with the spoken word over writing about it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that last paragraph sounds exactly like me, thanks for making this whole blog it makes me closer than i have ever been to understanding my condition :)

    ReplyDelete