Share it

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Nerves Before the Gala

Tonight is a major night for TouchPoint Autism Services as it is the 27th annual Festival of Trees event. This event is a festive event that through silent auctions, and a live auction, the funds raised helps TouchPoint continue to serve the autism community in need.

This is the 27th annual edition so why am I talking about it and how does it concern me? Well, I will be up on stage at one point in time for 3-5 minutes talking about my experience, in brief, regarding autism and TouchPoint's parent training program.

I have had several blog posts on here about the parent training program and I feel there is nothing more important than a parent going through the program. I give a presentation to parents that are going through the program and at my conclusion I make sure to thank them and say that, "Understanding is the foundation of hope and after this program you will have a much better understanding of autism."

To be honest I am very nervous about tonight as it is a new audience. I have talked to EMT's, teachers, parents, grandparents, police officers, and neurologists, but tonight is a different audience as the audience are those that show up to support TouchPoint.

With that being so do I change anything about what I say? If so, how do I do it? As I have said many times on here, once I do something once I won't be as nervous the 2nd time, but in a way, for me, this is just as important, if not more so, than the USAAA conference two months ago (wow, it's been two months!?).

I am now eight hours away from my few minutes on stage. I want to hit the home run; I want the audience to know how important the program is and that there is hope. I know the words to say, I know the points to make, but in this new environment will the words come easy, or will I stumble about? I hope the words will come easy, but in all reality I won't know until eight hours from now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you did fine and I know it must have been a great event!!!

    ReplyDelete