Share it

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, Same New Mission

Welcome to a new year! As I mentioned in my most recent post 2010 was a fantastic year for me. I mean, take a final look at the amount of counties I gave a presentation in. I do say final look because the map of 2010 is being retired.

If you look down the right sidebar I already have a new map and it is empty. As great as 2010 was it is no more and I have always had the belief that what I did yesterday doesn't matter (this is in terms of writing and such) and the only thing that matters is the now and what comes after the now. In other words I feel as if my impact is only as good as my most recent post or most recent presentation.

With that being so today is like starting all over. My mission is the same but it is new. I could easily become complacent on what I have done, but then this is of no benefit to anyone. As I drove home from Indianapolis yesterday I spent the drive thinking of new ways to describe things, and I began to look forward to the challenge of this year. Can I beat my numbers of 2010? Can I keep my blog fresh and new without duplicating stories?

For the first time in my life I was not depressed on New Year's Eve. For one thing I was in a hotel in Fort Wayne, Indiana as tired as could be after a long day in the stands at an indoor race (and the drama of an unexpected trip to urgent care. It wasn't for me but I know where I get my ability to fall in the most unexpected of places). As tired as I was from the race I actually was looking forward to the new year. In years prior I saw the changing of the year as a reminder of who I wasn't. Also, I have always hated the changing of the year because, well, change is bad, right? I mean, it will never be 2010 again... ever!

Okay, before I start making myself depressed let me get to the point of the story; on New Year's Eve I didn't feel that same crushing blow like I did in years prior. I felt assured that my mission needs to keep going. I have to constantly find ways to better my presentation and blog. Even though I have 240+ blog entries I have only been doing this for nine months. I am still growing and as the clock ticked towards midnight I was excited, for the first time in my life, at the prospects of the new year. So bring on 2011! Last year was great, but it was just setting the bar. My goals are still the same and I still want a presentation in as many counties in Missouri as possible. I still want to increase the amount of followers of this blog (I still get just as excited as I did the first time I gained a follower) and I still want to have an impact.

So, just as I did on my first post in 2010, I want to welcome you to my blog and say that I still hope you get as much enjoyment reading this as I have had writing it. Thank you and bring on 2011!

(I also have made a new stand alone page to my blog entitled "The Glossary of Life On The Other Side of the Wall" [see it here]. If you have any suggestions to it let me know.)

1 comment:

  1. What about humor? I know from the way you write that you have a sense of humor. Mostly, you are able to laugh about yourself, which is a quite rare ability. The device you use to communicate in your blog uses humor: you smile about your problems and predicaments, and then people smile with you and they sympathize with you.
    You should explore humor in interpersonal situations. It is a very important factor that enables people to jump across very wide differences.

    ReplyDelete