Share it

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Rebound

Yesterday I had a presentation in Marshall. For the most part my presentations are entered with a clear head and no other thoughts. Yesterday, however, proved to be different.

I arrived 45 minutes early so I enjoyed reading more of the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes while waiting for other people to get there to let me in. Once in I quickly realized that we had a problem; there was no projector.

Last year I talked about the few times I did a presentation without a PowerPoint presentation, but right now, in my 90 minute format, I have become so accustomed to it that I don't think it would be the same without it.

With that being so I began to panic as a projector was sought out. Minutes passed and I got more and more anxious. The whole building was searched and no projector was found.

Minutes later a room in the other building was found and it had a projector coming out of the ceiling. As we walked towards that building I breathed a sigh of relief. This sigh was short lived as I entered the room.

The room was small and I began to worry about the cozy confines, and then setting up the projector became difficult. I tried various cable methods and could not figure out how to get my PowerPoint onto the projector. 6:00 was nearing and people were already seated and I just wanted to find a hole to crawl into a disappear. I was anxious, nervous, and fearful and within minutes I was expected to speak.

At 5:59 the TouchPoint staff person that was there tried a different cable combo and there it was, my PowerPoint, on the screen. Crisis had been averted, but what about me? I had been visibly shaken and I think my worry was obvious. I was having a hard time putting into words the frustration and fear I was experiencing, but as soon as 6:05 came and everyone was seated I started my presentation. Was it good? After my first sentence it was like the whole projector ordeal never happened and by the end I had forgotten the drama until it was brought up again. It was a tremendous rebound and maybe this is just another great example of the power of Kansas.

Tonight I will be presenting in Columbia so if you are in the area, or know someone who does, the event is open to the public. If you'd like to attend please RSVP by calling the TouchPoint Columbia office,

No comments:

Post a Comment