Share it

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Confidence From One Conversation

I often forget who I am and what I do. Okay, let me further state that so you aren't confused. I don't forget that I am Aaron, but I forget that I am an author and speaker and that my goal is to raise as much awareness and understanding as possible. I think the reason to this is that I speak so much that the human impact is lost.
This changed yesterday though as I went to a college in the LA area and had a conversation with two of the staff.

It wasn't a long conversation, maybe 25 minutes, but it was such an amazing time for me. The questions asked were sharp and direct and it made me look at myself in a different light. As much as I thought about myself, I noticed my words and concepts were having a gigantic impact.

This type of blog post has probably been done several times in the history of this blog, but it is a great example of the complacency that can occur. I've always believed that, "for something to be good it must be difficult." and since talking about my experiences on the spectrum is easy then that means it must not be good.

I know I am not the only person on the spectrum who experiences this. I had a conversation with a parent who, I think, had a son highly gifted in art. The artwork was said to be amazing, and yet if the parent said, "that is good" or something along those lines the child would get mad. I used to get angry at my dad when he said a chapter I wrote was good because, as I would tell him, "You're biased and you'd say that anyway."

Yesterday though there was no bias. Dealing with professionals I knew that if what I said was false or empty then they'd let me know. That didn't happen though and once again my confidence in what I have to say is at full. And I must say, it's a great feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment