Share it

Friday, July 29, 2011

Photography as Art

Yesterday evening I was at a photo showing at the Regional Arts Commission. The event was put on by Life Skills and the project is called, "Everyone Deserves a Shot." The concept is for people with a disability of one form or another to take a photo from their perspective.

Before I started at TouchPoint I was a photographer. Would I say I was a professional? I'm not sure as I had no training, but since I got paid for it perhaps that is the only parameter for being a pro? Anyway, before I show you the photo I took for the project, I thought I'd show you some of the photos I have taken from around the world.




Riga, Latvia, 2008

Riga, Latvia, 2008 (Perhaps my favorite photo I've ever taken)


Another photo from Riga


This is Antaanarivo, Madagascar, 2006


Accident at SKUSA Supernats, 2006. All drivers were unhurt.


This is up there with my favorite photos and is a great agony of defeat photo.


This got published in "Go Racing" Magazine as their, "Point of Impact"
photo for that month. The driver was uninjured.


This was the start of a race at the 2007 SKUSA Supernats
as the field headed towards turn one.


This is the infamous tracks that run through Kibera which is a large slum in Nairobi.


So there are some of my works of photography. If you will notice that most of, if not all of these, involve no faces. When I photographed races it is an event, and when I am taking picture of places, well, people are just sort of in the way. This is very much like what it is like for me outside photography and when I was asked to contribute to Life Skill's project I originally thought it would be easy. I mean, I've been around the world to take photos, how hard could it be?

The project stated a photo from the taker's point of view. "Well, what is my point of view?" I asked myself. I noticed that all my best photos typically involved minimal persons and usually no front of faces. I struggled for a week until I realized that this within itself is my point of view. Just as eye/face contact is difficult in person it is equally as hard while behind the lens. With that I had my concept.

With the concept done I went to downtown Saint Louis on July 1st. I knew what I wanted but getting it was going to be tough. I walked quite a bit in the 100 degree heat dressed in my office attire (I always wear long sleeves in the office and black pants) and I finally found my location. I sat down and waited. Timing was key and on top of that I had to make sure that those around me did not see me take the photo because that would disturb the natural order of things.

I waited, and waited, and started to get very hot. Then a stroke of luck! Three people were walking across this location I was in at the same time a girl from Japan was getting her photo taken by her dad who was beside me. I quickly went from a guy who had an aloof stare into space to a photographer taking the money shot. With the shot in hand I headed home knowing I got what I needed.

Now, remember, the project stated that it needed to be from my point of view. To do this I had my dad photoshop the faces to symbolize the fact that I don't remember people. Since eye/face contact is minimal, and there is some other block there, I don't remember people. Faces, in my videographic memory, are blurred. So here now is my photo that I took for the project:




1 comment:

  1. It was from the pictures I took that it was first realized how different my perspective is from most other people.

    I don't often let other people see the pictures I take, unless it's from a trip like to the zoo, because of how people have reacted strangely. But it is a good way to show someone examples of my perspective. Photography has been an interesting tool, for that and other reasons.

    ReplyDelete