Share it

Friday, November 18, 2011

Another Day in Paradise

Yesterday was day 2 of the 2011 SKUSA Supernats and, as the title of this post suggests, it was a great day. Yes, it was a great day, but also a long one. We started on track at 7:30AM (I had to be there at 6:30) and I walked into my hotel room at 8:15PM. The hours are long, but the time goes by fast because there is so much for me to keep track of. However, there are times that my mind has time to simply think and analyze and yesterday I analyzed where I am in the world.

This might be exactly what I wrote three days ago, but I don't remember things I write, even what I wrote yesterday, but what I thought of was, well, my life. I thought back just three years ago and how much internal anger I had. I kept it hidden, but I still was upset with the way my life was going. It was three years ago this month that my book came out, but I still believed that hope was limited for those on the spectrum like myself.

Just a little over half-a-year later from my first Supernats I went through TouchPoint's Parent Training Program and from that I got my current job. I know these are odd thoughts to have while at a race, but when I am perfectly content and happy I start to make sense of everything.

"What if...?" That question used to plague me. I kept thinking about that question when I had a few moments when karts were buzzing by me and I smiled because I don't think that anymore. This concept is how I end my presentations now, in a way, as there is always hope. Did you read that? There always is hope, It may take longer than what we may want, but, well, listen to this story.

My first Supernats was three years ago and the person I am sharing a room with worked that one. He didn't do the 2009 or 2010 installments, but he's back (he also was one of the first persons to buy my book) but he has said that I am much more open and "out of my shell" than the person he saw three years ago. His words were, "Yeah, back then any loud noise startled you and now you are on top of the world with your ways."

Those were just some of the thoughts I had on track yesterday. I know at some point in time I might play the what if game, and when it does I hope I can remember this blog post because I can counteract my what if game by playing the what if game as what if I had never been diagnosed? What if I made it as a race car driver? What if I didn't have all my social quirks? If any of those didn't happen I wouldn't be me and I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing right now. You wouldn't be reading this and my life might be much more self-centered.

Well, it's almost time to start the day's on track activities. Today we start qualifying and heat races so the intensity level is going to amp up greatly. There is no video from the event, but there is an internet radio call and trust me when I say that you can feel as if you are hear should you listen to Rob Howden's call of the event. To listen live go to http://www.ekartingnews.com/live/.

I might update tonight or tomorrow, and then again the next update might be when I am at the airport on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment