Share it

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Today is the Day!

It’s here! It’s finally here!!! Today is the start of the SKUSA Supernats. I know I’ve mentioned this many times, but for me this is the pinnacle of the year.
Today marks the 4th year I have been chief starter of this race and as I landed two days ago I felt as if I have left this place from the previous two years. It’s an odd feeling and this probably goes back to the statement I make that says I have a different concept of time, but truly it is like I have never left.
I went to the buffet here in the Rio and the waiter was the same one I had last two years. Of course he didn’t remember me, but I asked if he had worked here a while and I am sure it was the same. If you have been to a presentation you know I say that, “I don’t remember people in my memories” however, if I see a person again often times I will recall them and be able to place them. The waiter though seemed freaked that I would ask such a question and I too was somewhat freaked that I would ask a question seeing that I usually won’t ask anyone for anything.
This race will mean more to me than the past because I thought I wasn’t going to be able to do it. I kept this a secret minus a couple references on Facebook, but over the course of last week I developed an infection, most likely MRSA, on my right arm. Last Thursday I had a minor surgery to remove it and the pain was immense last weekend. To be honest I never doubted my ability to make it, but I was worried about the level of discomfort. Missing this race was out of the question and while I still have a band-aid over the area and a minor tinge of pain I must say I have flagged worse off before.
So, it is almost that time. The sun is rising and soon the Las Vegas morning will be greeted with the magical sound of kart engines. Over 500 drivers are here and today through Sunday it’s going to be amazing. I wish all the drivers safety in their pursuit of one of karting’s grandest prizes and it is such an honor to be the one to greet the winners as they flash by the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment