EASTER SEALS MIDWEST

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Humor is a One-Way Street

During my presentation yesterday I was astounded at how far I have come as a presenter, and as a comedian should you talk to the right person. When I started out just over two years ago humor was something I tried to avoid in my presentations as I feared comments like, "We shouldn't be laughing at or with these stories."

After giving several presentations to police officers I realized that I needed something to maintain their attention so I had to change my tones as I spoke to say, and oh the irony as this is almost like yesterday's title, "It's okay to laugh."

Two years later the humor just comes naturally; I don't try and be funny and I don't put any thought into how to state something or phrase it, or how my tone should be. Truly, it just happens and I find this odd because I don't understand the concept of stand-up comics. I've watched a few and I sit there, lost, as if I'm hearing a complete history of Greenland.

In fact, I almost get angry when I see segments of a stand-up act because I don't get the jokes. As with a lot of things with Asperger Syndrome humor is a one-way street. I can make a comedic remark in my presentation and understand it fully well, but if the street was reversed I would probably sit there with the look of grim seriousness on my face.

Sarcasam too is something that is a one-way street. If anything this is even rougher than the humor street. Now, if I've known someone a LONG time and have seen how they do sarcasam I can understand it, but if I don't know someone that well often times I will be a cloud of processing trying to determine if the comment was a serious, literal comment or if it was said in jest.

I believe this is just another example at the mystery of the spectrum and teachers and parents could become quite confused or frustrated with a child because things can be a one-way street. Conversations, interests, and of course humor all could fall under this one-way street concept. I do want to write more on this topic, but I also want to think it out more so for now I'll leave this at that.

1 comment:

  1. I am often sarcastic and I think I'm hilarious...and my kids are both the same (luckily) but every now and then one or the other of us will misunderstand something we've said, and then we'll crack up laughing and say, "That just fried my brain." My 17 year old is the one that most easily (and most often) gets a brain fry...but we are lucky also, that we don't freeze up like you do...because we find it so funny! Ok...we are weird..

    ReplyDelete