Share it

Friday, April 27, 2012

The Follow Up

The entire ride yesterday from Vegas to San Fransisco was filled with deep thought as I thought of everything I wrote in yesterday's blog. How is it that anything like that [the video mentioned in yesterday's blog] can happen? I mean, the year is 2012 and haven't we moved onward to a better place where acceptance is the norm?

I went through a phase in the middle 2000's that I believed, "People are mean, evil, and unpredictable therefore I want nothing to do with people." Over the course of the years I believed it wasn't people, but just a "few." Now imagine what would have happened to me during that time if a similar situation had happened to me. Would I have realized that the vast majority of society wasn't simply mean or out to get me? I would say probably not.

The autism spectrum is such a unique thing because to the uninitiated they may think that we 1. have no emotions 2. don't care and 3. aren't listening. All those are false and yes, I did say unique, and that's because the reactions around us mean so much.

Society can do so much good, or so much harm to those on the spectrum. A bad experience isn't simply forgotten, at least in my life, and all it takes is one bad experience for the mind to think, "Okay, since I went out and people were mean this means people will always be mean." If you were powerless to defend yourself and powerless to ask for help you can see why a person on the spectrum would put up a huge defense to avoid such situations.

I've realized if I continue writing I will write a mirror post to yesterday's and I don't like repeating myself. However, I feel so much bubbling anger and passion write now. I want to do more but I don't know how. Yes, I realize I'm in the midst of this nationwide tour (presentation in San Fransisco tomorrow) but I want my voice to be louder, my concepts clearer and all in all I want to do more despite the fact that I don't know how to do more. My passion to raise the awareness, understanding, and acceptance of autism is about as personal as a passion comes. I don't want to sit back and watch the world go by idly. The odd thing is is the fact that I am on this tour and yet I feel as if I need to more. As you can see my thoughts are going around in circles.

Since I am going around in circles I best end this post year before you get 20 paragraphs all saying the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. Aaron, there's nothing wrong with circular thinking as long as you are picking something up on the way around (and then around again). This is a good place for your voice.

    A voice doesn't need to be audible to be heard. And I firmly believe that our words carry power of their own. When they are spoken, or written, they become like prayers and they set a series of events into action.

    Remember Newton's Law "for every action there is an equal reaction" (or something like that). When you speak or write you are making an action, and from that...things happen.

    ReplyDelete