Share it

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why I Could Never Write Fiction

The main person of my story, he walks into a house and into a room upstairs and starts a conversation with the antagonist...

If I were to write fiction the sentence above is about as much detail as I could provide. Right now reading is a big Kansas for me and I am scouring Amazon and other sites for what books I should read. When reading I am amazed at how much detail is written into it because, as shown above, detail is something I overlook.

Is it that I overlook it or is it that I have a different priority? In my book Finding Kansas I believe I give great detail, much like a great fiction writer, but instead of describing the rancid smells or describing the aqua blue from the crimson red I put my detail into the way the mind works and why.

For me, when I write, I have to force myself to put external detail. I can remember on occasion doing that on here or in my book and each time I want you to realize that putting detail just doesn't come naturally. Since it isn't important to me I know it isn't to you (another case of my concept, "I think therefore you should know") therefore why should I waste my energy and describe it.

Now that I'm thinking about this I wonder how much detail I have left out and if any of my stories would be deeper if I described the surroundings a bit more. I don't know if it would, but would it then detract from my natural form of writing or take away the importance of what I do normally write? I think back to my grocery store experiences way early on in my blog and I wonder if I added detail would it add to my story or would it minimize the internal strife I was feeling? I'm going to have to think about this more but I might just try and challenge myself to add some descriptors to my stories.

1 comment: