Share it

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Details Matter Except When They Don't

My one day to breathe was yesterday and I didn't take the day to rest as in the late afternoon I went to a golf course that is near my sister's house. It was my first time playing golf since I tried playing in 105 degree heat (BIG mistake!) over a month ago.

Since it had been a while I was 100% focused on making it to the first tee once I had paid. Because of this I had done no planning on how to get there. What I mean by this is I walked into the pro shop and then to the golf cart and I simply started driving in a straight line to my car.

The shortest distance between two distances is a straight line. However, as I was going that way I didn't notice that there was a gigantic curb at the end of the area the golf carts were parked. Thankfully I saw this before it was too late and I slammed the brakes and avoided the drop that certainly wouldn't have felt pleasant.

This event was a big wake up call because I had done no thinking on how I was actually going to get to my car. I was so excited on actually being able to play that my mind was already across the street on the course. I was already in a state of hyper-focus but the details in advance were not part of this.

To continue on with this story I eventually made it up to a twosome on hole 12 and they told me to play with them to the end. I agreed but it wasn't until driving home that I noticed something; even though they asked me my name and told me theirs I can't tell you one thing about them. It was two years ago this month I did my sunglasses experiment and back then I forced myself to do eye contact but yesterday, even though I was wearing sunglasses, I made no eye contact and, well, I didn't even look at them at all.

I think I was so focused on the game of golf that it didn't even occur to me look at them or speak to them. Usually this doesn't bother me but this morning I feel a true void as if I truly missed something. Missed what? I'm not sure, but that feeling started at the end of the round when I was in my car headed back to my sister's and I realized that I spent almost an hour with two people and it was as if I never was around anyone. When I am focused on something, as I mentioned on yesterday's blog, my attention to details decreases greatly. This can also occur with people as I found out yesterday.

So now I am off to the Indiana State Fairgrounds for the USAC .25 Battle at the Brickyard. Four days of racing are at hand and I'm already focused on that so I better me sure to grab my flags, sunscreen, sunglasses, and hopefully I don't forget any of these things by the time I head out the door.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes my 7 year old son (AS) will also remain almost completely silent during some social opportunity. My fear has always been that he WANTS to socialize but simply can't, and that he is suffering inside for his lack of social skills. Your blog has taught me that my son may just be focused on the task at hand, and that he is not necessarily "sad" as I fear. Somehow, that makes this dad feel a lot better. Thanks Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the same thing yesterday. I got everything ready for a 'business meeting' (not really business, as we're volunteers, but you get the idea)and was really excited to go there. I had prepared a document of 2 papers and a filled in questionaire which I worked on almost all weekend. I printed out the papers a few times and stapled them together. While stapling, I managed to staple in my index finger (just the side of a staple and it didn't fold thankfully, so I could get it out, but it was deep...). This, obviously, hurt a lot and I got focussed on how to get through the meeting while hurting that much. After I felt a little better, I got ready to go to the meeting and went out.

    At the meeting they started talking about the papers that I worked on. I realised, after all the pain and focussing on the meeting itself, I left the papers on the table... I felt so ashamed. Worked so hard on those papers too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading what you write, it helps me see the world in my grandson's eyes. The way he sees the world and what goes on with him. He is 6 I have custody of him for now. Sometimes when he is not able to tell me what is going on or he is to young to understand yet. Hearing from others helps me understand him and help him. Just wanted to say thank you nana from Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes tunnel vision is good... as that can allow you to get work done efficiently. However, sometimes tunnel vision is VERY BAD. In my line of work, say you are treating a kid at a pediatrics clinic. Not only you have to be working with your child, but also you have to be aware of what is happening around you and the child. Plus, you also have to be aware of the child's reactions to the activity you want him/her to do.

    ReplyDelete