Share it

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blog Entry #699: Wordage for Understanding

I live by the line of, "Understanding is the foundation for hope." Understanding is so important because the differences between the autism spectrum and not can be so difficult to see through. Without understanding every single one of our quirks may be deemed wrong, silly, or an inappropriate response.

As I say in my presentation, I never intended on being an author or a speaker; I simply wanted to be able to tell my dad who I was and why I was. That was the genesis of my writing and it led me to write my book, Finding Kansas. To this day though I am still coming up with concepts to describe the reasons as to why we do what we do. Take yesterday's post of example and the concept of "the wall." It's one thing to say that, "People with Asperger Syndrome are socially awkward." Okay, that may be a truth, but where is the understanding in that? There is no ability to hear, or see in one's mind what that means the same way as if I were told the air on Mars is dry. Without a comparison or a visual example how can one that is unfamialir with the autism spectrum have any understanding.

Even the title of my book is a visual example. Contrary to popular belief I am not from Kansas but I use the title this way; if you were paralyzed in every state except Kansas, where would you want to live? Obviously your answer would be Kansas and Kansas is that activity or interest that a person on the spectrum may think of, or do, to the exclusion of other interests or activities and in that realm there is a greater sense of normalcy. This concept translates the line of, "People on the autism spectrum will have a rigid, narrow range of interest." Again, that line says the truth but it doesn't give the person an understanding as to the why and without the why how can one feel any bit of compassion or understanding towards the autism spectrum?

I don't know how many concepts I have created to date within my one published book, three yet to be published books, and the ones shared within these 699 blog posts. I've been asked several times where I come up with these concepts and how long it takes me to think of them and the answer always surprises them. The answer is that I make no effort to think of them and they sort of just happen. There is no thought of, "Okay, how can I explain this..." it's truly just a random thought at some point in time and then it's there and then I write it.

Moving forward I hope to continue to add that dimension of understanding to the words of autism. Understanding is the foudation for hope and understanding comes from words. Or rather the right words. If people can see a concept in their mind, then they can understand it. I never thought I'd do anything like this in life, but so long as my words are able to translate the whys to the autism spectrum I will keep chugging along doing my best to lay the foundation for a better sense of understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment