Share it

Friday, February 22, 2013

A Better Night

Yesterday morning was a rough one. My neighbor wakes up at 5AM and that too is when I was awoken to a mix of news and music through the wall. This certainly gives new meaning to "life on the other side of the wall!"

After the morning noise though the noise disappeared the rest of the day. I found this odd as there was a sizable snow/sleet event here in Saint Louis so I expected everyone to be home, but from the afternoon onward it was as if I was the only one living in this building.

I needed this break from noise. One of things about myself that I don't normally state is how much energy I have to exert to keep doing what I do. I think in my book Finding Kansas I state about the energy it takes just to leave the front door as there is so much to process in life. I wrote that, wow time flies, eight years ago but the concept is the same if not deeper. To present like I do takes up so much energy and I have had an incredibly busy past four weeks. What does this mean? It means I need sleep and sleep is something that hasn't been happening.

Last week in Canada I originally thought was going to be a peaceful week with one presentation and a lot of rest. I was wrong and it turned out to be a constant on the run experience. This was fine, don't get me wrong, but at some point my body needs to recover and to come home to the unexpected noise has not allowed my body to rest.

Then last night happened. I went to bed early and I don't think I had a choice as my body had had enough and I slept, and slept, and slept. If my neighbor awoke at 5 I didn't know it. 13 hours later I awoke and I needed every minute of that rest.

One thing that I can't overlook when things get stressful or if I've had a long run of presentations is the fact that I have to sleep. On my nationwide tour last year there were several days that I spent in bed at a hotel just resting. I have a threshold and when it is crossed I need much more rest than normal nights. This can be caused either by constant on the go activity or by stress.

Moving forward I think there are some options for making my place quieter. I'd like to thank everyone who sent words of support or ideas either on here or Facebook. It does mean a lot to know that so many people care. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment