Share it

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Annoying the Nephew

For the longest of times I was the world's worst uncle. This was due to the fact that I was in such a bad place emotionally that I really didn't have any ability to, well, care. Times have changed, I'm in a better place, and now I firmly believe it is the uncle's responsibility to annoy their nephew. Of course, this has to be done in a tasteful and hilarious way and oh, my poor 13 year old nephew.

I'm currently in Indy for the Indy 500 and the various other events that precede it such as the USAC Traxxas Silver Crown series race this evening at the Indiana State Fairgrounds where I will be the assistant starter (mother nature better play nice!) so I am at my sister's house. Yesterday evening I ordered a pizza and was going to have it delivered but my sister convinced me that I should drive and get it seeing that it is just two minutes away. I, at first, said I was tired, or something to that effect, to which my sister debated and I had no logic to counteract her points so I got my shoes on and went. My nephew also wanted to come so into the car we went and we made the short drive to the Pizza Hut.

This Pizza Hut is different as it has a drive-thru. As we pulled in I heard the CD I had playing which was a collection of TV Game Show themes. Since this was playing I figured I could have a little fun, and totally embarrass my nephew at the same time. Win-win!

I switched the track to an up-tempo theme which was from "The Joker's Wild" (listen to a modern day version of it HERE)  and, compared to today's music, it's different. I turned it up, put it on repeat, and finally when the door opened and the worker said hello my nephew couldn't contain himself. I think he was on the verge of tears due to laughing so hard which I don't know if he was laughing at me, at the situation, or at the absurdity of it all, but there was certainly a noticeable change in the drive-thru worker when he heard such an odd song being played.

After paying for the pizza he said it would be two minutes so I hustled to change songs. I had one chance to play the oddest piece of music one would hear from a car so I got my iPhone radio adapter plugged in and proceeded to play The Price is Right Cliffhangers Theme. Honestly, if you were beside any car anywhere I firmly believe that is the last song you'd ever expect to hear.

My nephew, as I cranked up this song, looked at me as if I had sunk to a new level; and perhaps I had. He then stared out the window trying everything he could to actively ignore the situation but it was no use as when there is yodeling going on normality just isn't easily found.

The window slid open and as the pizza box was handed to me a look of utter perplexity came across the worker's face. I'm usually not the best judge of facial expressions but even I could see that this person knew the song but couldn't place it. At this point in time I started laughing and grabbed the box and drove off before I started truly laughing. Not too many people have seen this, but when I find something funny I don't just laugh but rather I laugh to the point of pulling muscles and losing the ability to breathe. I got to that point on this one.

So that was my trip to Pizza Hut yesterday. It's a trip my nephew isn't going to forget for some time and I can't wait for the next misadventure I can put him through. I don't think he'll ever admit it but I think he secretly enjoys these rather odd encounters.

2 comments:

  1. Awesomeness! This will be a story that will one day go from being about his annoying uncle to being about his really cool uncle! I so appreciate your sense of humorous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomeness! This will be a story that will one day go from being about his annoying uncle to being about his really cool uncle! I so appreciate your sense of humorous!!

    ReplyDelete