Share it

Monday, November 25, 2013

The Soggynats

Whew! Where were my blog posts the past few days? I normally blog each day at the SKUSA Supernats but the conditions this year proved to be the most challenging conditions I've ever faced. Even though it's in the desert, and it's Las Vegas, we endured inches (yes, inches!) of rain. And not only rain, but the temperature didn't even eclipse 50. To make matters worse I didn't have the proper attire when it started to rain (it's Vegas, who brings rain gear?) but was eventually provided with a really menacing looking plastic suit and rubber boots. First, if I ever wear those types of boots again in my life it will be too soon! Seriously, try working a race which involves 15 hours of standing and running in such boots. It's no wonder that today I can barely walk.

Thankfully, and mercifully, the weather for the mains yesterday turned into a typical fall day in Vegas; ample sunshine and around 60 degrees. This photo I'm smiling for two reasons, one, and obviously, I'm in my biggest Kansas of the year but two, and more importantly, I'm not in rubber boots!

Right now, as I write this, I'm at the airport about to head home and never have I been so sore in my life. It was extremely exhausting and I impressed myself in the endurance I exhibited. This was probably the most physically, and mentally, demanding event but as always I am counting down the days until the Supernats (and hopefully not the Soggynats) of 2014. Until then I'll have these pictures, and the following videos of this year's event.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately I can't see the videos right now (my issue, not the video's) but I would never have thought that being a flagman would be physically strenuous until I met you. And I have never been to Vegas in such anti-tropic conditions. I probably would have loved it as I absolutely despise the heat. I'm glad you finally had a good day to enjoy the races and look forward to seeing you around the office again.

    ReplyDelete