Share it

Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Part of the World

Today is the day I head to LA and the first round of the USAC .25 series and with it comes my first airport experience of the year. Unlike so many I love the experience of travel and always have. From when I was young I was always intrigued by the airport and I can remember many weekends where my dad would take me to the airport to watch the planes coming and going from Indianapolis. I always wondered where all the people were going or coming from. 

In the 2000's after I got my diagnosis the only time I felt I was part of the world was when I was traveling. That may sound like an odd statement, but when I was home I never left the house outside to go bowling or work a local race. That was my world and I was convinced that this was all there was in my world at home. However, when I traveled, I felt as if I were a part of the world that I so often would watch pass me by convinced I would never be a part of, or accepted by. 

Times have changed but I still get just as elated being dropped off at the airport. I've been here for just 50 minutes and I still have the biggest grin as I hear the gate change announcements and witness humanity in motion. 

Here's the thing I felt back then and still today; at an airport I feel in the midst of humanity but the 4th wall usually stays intact. People are so engrossed with their gate, their conversations, their books, their music, and whatever it is that they're doing that one is almost invisible in a crowd. This is a safe feeling for me which is why I look forward to every trip and of all my years this year might see the most travel of them all but it all starts with today's flight which will take me to my first race of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment