Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Indy Dreaming

Good morning, and what a morning it is! The sun is coming up and today is a day I think of all year. In a way I had dreams about this type of morning since as far back as I can remember as today I drive to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to work.

Growing up in Indy, and wanting to be a race car driver, I always dreamt up the day when I would be working at the Speedway in the month of May as a driver and competing in the greatest race in the world, the Indianapolis 500. While today isn't the Indy 500, and I'm not driving, the thrill is just about the same as I head to the Speedway to flag the USAC .25 Battle at the Brickyard.

For the USAC .25 midget series this is our Indy 500. This is our biggest event of the year and I take the fact that I am the chief starter of this event rather seriously. This isn't a job, isn't something I just do, but this is a lifelong passion to motorsport being fulfilled.

I'm sure for the competitors that will be competing this weekend they too probably have the dreams I had of one day coming off of turn four on the final lap of the Indy 500 seeing the twin checkereds flying in the air and winning the greatest race in the world. My dream didn't pan out the way I thought it would, and I'm okay with that because if I were doing that I would not be the Autism Ambassador for Easter Seals Midwest, but in a way my dream got better. In tomorrow's blog I'll show you (video blog tomorrow!) how an act of kindness 24 years ago helped get me to where I am today.

Dreams though, I still have dreams about where I will be, and what flagstands I may flag in someday, but today I am living the dream. I get to drive to the Speedway (which is my favorite place on Earth) and I get to drive into the tunnel and drive into the grounds of the most hallowed place in motorsport and I get to work. This is my fifth edition of working this event and I have the same chills as I did for my first year back in 2010. However, it's time to go now. It's time to drive to the Speedway and then, with flags in hand, it's time to start the Battle at the Brickyard. I don't know who enjoys this event more, the drivers or myself.

Sunrise at last year's Battle at the Brickyard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment