Monday, October 27, 2014

The Umbrella Fail

A little over a month ago I had a presentation in one of the tall buildings in downtown Saint Louis. It was an early morning presentation which I have noted that, one more than one occasion, I am not a morning person. Anyway, it was a rainy morning, downpouring actually, and I walked to my car from my house without a second thought, or even a first thought, of an umbrella.

I pulled away from my house and got a mile or so away when I realized I'd have to probably walk at least a block or two to get to the building and it wouldn't look so great if I walked in to the place I was presenting if I were completely soaked. However, I didn't bring an umbrella so this was going to be an unavoidable fact.

When I got to the parking garage I even posted on Facebook something along the lines of, "Guess who didn't bring an umbrella even though it's raining hard? That's right, me!" I waited for the rain to let up and it didn't, but thankfully the way the winds were blowing there was some protection provided by the tall buildings so I didn't get absolutely soaked.

Now, why am I telling you a story from over a month ago about my inability to bring an umbrella with me? Actually, as I found out last week, I did have an umbrella with me; three to be exact. You see, I was so confident that I had failed because I didn't bring an umbrella I didn't even look in my car for them. I mentioned I had three and they were all out, clear as day, on my back seat but, since I accepted that I had failed, I didn't even look.

This is such a great example of things in my life where I accepted failure in advance of the fact. The fail-set mindset is something I've struggled with in my life which that is, "if I've failed once, and then failed the 2nd time I am assured failure will always be the outcome no matter how much I try." That being said I typically will forget an umbrella and with that being said I didn't even look for one.

It was shocking to see that I had three umbrellas in my back seat just sitting there waiting to be used. I could have stayed dry on that day and would have had a choice on which umbrella to use. But, since I was so sure that I didn't have one, I didn't even make the effort. This event can be played out in many different ways but, since I was sure of failure, the effort wasn't made. I'm to quick to accept the worst case, to accept failure, and to accept the fact that there's nothing I can do about something. This, for me, is the way the fail set plays out and it's difficult to just not think this way. It comes naturally to accept failure to the point of not even trying even if it is something as small as wondering if there was an umbrella in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment