Monday, January 5, 2015

The Year Begins

This is it! For me, 2015 begins today as I give my first presentation of the year. The holidays are over and mentally I'm refreshed. Physically? Well, I still have that pesky tailbone injury but today is a day of great excitement for me as I hope to have my best year yet.

There is a problem, however, and that is the amount of pressure I have put on myself to make this far and beyond the best year yet. To make matters even murkier it's difficult to even judge just what makes a year great. Is it getting blog views? Likes on Facebook? The occasional retweet? What makes one year better than the other? That's what I'm going through now as I have such lofty goals for this year and yet it's hard to even figure out what direction to look at to determine what a goal should even be. Confused? Try living with this!

I've mentioned this many times in that it's hard to play a game and not exactly know the score of what the game is you're doing. This is exactly what life is. Games make sense; there's a score, a preset time limit or conditions that will declare a game over and who the winner is. In life there is, there's that, well, um, there's, gosh, um, nothing. Sure, there's tangible and materialistic goods that can be earned, but what will make this year professionally better than any other?

Here's my problem; I'm about as competitive as can be and am almost a perfectionist, which within itself makes me a rather poor perfectionist, but I always want to better myself. I want to raise that proverbial bar, I want to go that extra proverbial mile, and I want to exceed the proverbial, well I guess this isn't proverbial, expectations because this isn't just about me. If I go that extra mile or whatever adage of cliche you'd like to use that means I'm reaching more people. That's what I want. That's the only thing I want. I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible, plus a bit more, to raise the level of awareness and understanding of the autism spectrum.

I could keep going on this but I'll just work myself up. For now it is time to start this year off right and deliver as good of a keynote presentation as possible. It may be the 5th but for myself the year begins today.

No comments:

Post a Comment