Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Aspie Traveler Norway Day 6: Let's Talk About Pizza

Today was a down day for me compared to the previous days. Perhaps 13 hours on a train yesterday will do that along with jetlag which I still want to know how I had zero issues when I went to Tokyo and yet here I'm riddled with it.

The one thing of note that I did do was go to the National Gallery to continue the streak of visiting art museums and while it isn't to the size and scope of the Rijkmuseum in Amsterdam it has the one painting I think I've seen used, mimicked, and displayed on various forms of media than any other painting besides the Mona Lisa and that would be The Scream by Edvard Munch. As I said back in the Amsterdam trip I am not big on art, I probably could be, but it's just something I was never exposed to. However, art enthusiast or not, when one sees a painting of that magnitude in person it's an experience that can't be compared to any other. Also, seeing how it was bitterly cold today, the museum in the morning wasn't busy so, except for the security guard who would occasionally hover to make sure I wasn't going to run off with it, the painting and other paintings could be enjoyed within one's self. I had an enjoyable time looking at the various paintings trying to find the artist's initials or autograph somewhere in the painting and also looking for minute details that one wouldn't find in passing.

Other than the museum trip my day was a day of recovery getting ready for tomorrow's trip to Hammerfest. It's going to be a seven hour, six stop trip to one of the most northern points on earth a person can visit.

Now let's talk about the topic of this post and that is food. As my longtime readers know I am very picky and yesterday was a big deal when I did try the Norwegian lamb stew. What else have I tried. Let's see... There's been the... umm... The pizza.

PIZZA?! "Aaron, you went 6,000 miles away from home to try pizza?" you ask? Okay, I'll say that I do want to try new foods but there's something about pizza away from the US that unless you've had it I could try and try and try some more to explain it but I'd just come up short and luckily the restaurant at the hotel called Bocca has a pizza that is, okay I will try to explain it. The dough is cooked to perfection and has a texture unlike any pizza in America but that's not what truly sets it apart. I encountered a pizza very much like this in Lithuania of all places in 2004 and I think what sets it apart is the either the cheese or the oil. I'm not a chef, I can't state with precision what it is, but when you take a bite it's this wonderful explosion of flavor and yes, there's amazing pizzas in America, but this is something that I want to keep having. Yes, I should try my of the local dishes and I am running out of meals to do so, so I'm hoping I can do that in Hammerfest because when I get back to Oslo it's a given what meal I'll be having.

So that was my day. Not as eventful or as insightful as the previous days. I needed a day of rest, though, after all the walking, riding, and writing that's been done for the past six days and tomorrow is a day I've been looking forward to since the day I booked this trip. Next stop Hammerfest!

No comments:

Post a Comment