Thursday, March 3, 2022

False Starts

 For the past two years I have had an extremely hard time starting anything new whether it be a new game or a new series on Netflix. Okay, it's been almost to the point of impossible. 

This began shortly after the pandemic and as we inch closer to, and it appears what used to be is closing in, this inability to start something new persists.

How bad has this been? I can easily go a couple hours starting a new game only to get past the title menu screen and stare at the "press start" message and get a great sense of dread. There will be times that I press start and as I get to whatever first level or tutorial there is and feel as if there's 20,000 anvils in my brain and I have to quit immediately, and the cycle begins anew as I try to figure out what to do and start next. The good thing for me, now, is I can do existing things. Last week traveling and working the Indycar race was how I've always worked races. 

As I've thought about this I can only come up with depression at the onset of the pandemic as the root cause. Perhaps it isn't, but that's what makes sense, and could it be a state of stasis incurred by that first month where none of us knew what the following months would look like and how long we would be in that sense of stasis.

I might write an expanded, in-depth version of this post tomorrow but first I'm curious if you have experienced anything like this. Let me know on the comments here or on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment