Thursday, August 17, 2023

Finding Kansas revisited: hazards of firsts

 The Hazard of “Firsts”


            I froze while reading this chapter. I have no recollection at all of writing this, but it didn’t read like where I was in 2006 and much more read like something I’d write now. This was haunting because it’s clear that the groundwork is being laid for me to do more than write random essays to my dad. It’s strange, though, as my “cement theory” which I state in my presentation and will be in my 2nd book was somewhat in this chapter but not fully realized.

            It’s weird to say I love a point I made, but seeing how it was almost ten years ago I think it’s right to say I agree with myself on the safety of sameness. The topics I wrote about as what could be a potential Kansas haven’t changed. I wrote this chapter in 2006 and a 1955 Chevy is still a 1955 Chevy and the 1911 baseball season is still the 1911 baseball season. Whatever our Kansas could be it’s often going to be heavy in facts because if we are talking about facts we are talking about something black or white and facts rarely change. 

            With each chapter it’s like I’m turning a corner coming closer to realizing there’s more to this than just my story and with this chapter I’m turning a corner coming closer at maximum velocity.

1 comment:

  1. That really was a corner, Aaron!

    Facts rarely change - though they do change...

    "A 1955 Chevy is still a 1955 Chevy and the 1911 baseball season is still the 1911 baseball season"

    and if we mistake it for the 1951 or the 1991 baseball season...

    The Cement Theory!

    Was it written *after* 2006 then?

    There are strange pieces of writing which are prescient and not resembling anything you'd ruminated on.

    ReplyDelete